Saturday, February 7, 2009

With the Rise and Fall of Sparrow's Breast


Lexington, near Bates, E. Hollywood/Silverlake

Another dead sparrow! This one is even more mysterious to me than the one behind my house. Its body is much more severely mangled than the other one, but its location is confusing. It's in the middle of a sidewalk, with no trees around for it to fall out of. It doesn't appear to have been hit by a car. I guess a cat could have killed it and left it here, but I like to imagine a sociopath seagull destroyed the sparrow and accidentally dropped it from its beak while it was flying toward a dumpster, freshly filled with rotting fruit and meat. I think seagulls are, for the most part, sociopaths. Pigeons are great. I like pigeons. Sure, you might think of them as winged rats, but they're so mellow and have such nice iridescent necks. Seagulls have a menacing glare in their eyes, so I think one would definitely be capable of murdering a smaller, weaker bird like the sparrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment