Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Bangkok Condom Canal


Near Wat Borommaniwat, Bangkok

Here we have another special photo from Southeast Asia, this one from Luke Schmidt, scholar of Thai Buddhist temple murals. Bangkok is a great city. It really is. Some people give it a hard time, calling it the armpit of Thailand, saying you should leave Bangkok as quickly as possible on a north or southbound bus. These are probably the same people who hate L.A. because they've never gotten out of their cars to actually walk around in the perfect weather. They may also be the same people who live in Boulder and hate Denver. Or, they may be people who just hate the Gross. I understand. The Gross can be tiring, I'll admit it. One of the reasons I started this blog is to form a more peaceful relationship with the Gross. I was irritated at how disgusting human beings are, but instead of wallowing in my disgust, I embraced that part of human nature and now I write about it and photograph it. Digression! Sorry. Anyway. Condoms. So if you look closely at this photo you'll see lots of little rings floating in the canal. Yep. These are condoms. Lots and lots of condoms. Was it a Bangkok orgy? A disgruntled prostitute dumping out the contents of her purse? A creepy old American guy, doing creepy old American guy things?

No comments:

Post a Comment